Vista tip & Mini-Bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    revoSleep - Support Forum Index -> RevoSleep - Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgbigel

PostPosted: 28.03.2008, 19:41    Post subject: Vista tip & Mini-Bug Reply with quote

In Vista, you must run revoSleep as Admin. Here's how to:
Right click on revoSleep.exe, choose Properties, tab Compatibity select Admin, OK.

Works like a charm for me. Auf den Arm nehmen Auf den Arm nehmen Auf den Arm nehmen

But I found two mini - bugs:

When I first opened the program window, there were no drives visible. That was because at that time I had not launched it as Admin; but there are no messages.

Set it to run as Admin as described above.

Now the program shows drives; check a drive and GO! the drive shuts down with error 1. When the same drive is unchecked and GO! pressed again, nothing happens.

I then restarted the drive via Computer Management (DevMgr: find new HW, remount volume). First try, it finds a raw volume instead of my partition (HORROR). Pulled power plug from HD and plugged it in again, Restarted drive and mounted partution successfully as described. RELIEF!

After that, I used the right mouse on the task bar and -- it works without any errors at all . Bizarre.

Buglet 2: where is the lower right quarter of the program window?? I only see a chopped of frame (I can even move it around.)

Excellent prog, however. THANKS!
Rolf
revolver
Administrator

PostPosted: 29.03.2008, 12:50    Post subject: Re: Vista tip & Mini-Bug Reply with quote

rgbigel wrote:

Now the program shows drives; check a drive and GO! the drive shuts down with error 1. When the same drive is unchecked and GO! pressed again, nothing happens.

I then restarted the drive via Computer Management (DevMgr: find new HW, remount volume). First try, it finds a raw volume instead of my partition (HORROR). Pulled power plug from HD and plugged it in again, Restarted drive and mounted partution successfully as described. RELIEF!

this is because under vista it had to take the volume of the drive to offline state. Otherwise the drive wont sleep. But in your case revosleep stops at the sleep command and your drive was still in "volume offline" mode. It seems that you have a raw partition, but this isnt the case ... only your volume is offline (I think there is a vista command, which sends the volume to online state). But pulling/plug-in the power plug also seems to work for you.

All in all thanks for this bug report, I will try to work arround this problem. ATM I have no time to do this ... i will try as soon as possible.

rgbigel wrote:

After that, I used the right mouse on the task bar and -- it works without any errors at all . Bizarre.

Do you mean the try icon? Does it now also work with the GUI?

rgbigel wrote:

Buglet 2: where is the lower right quarter of the program window?? I only see a chopped of frame (I can even move it around.)

Please can you post a screen shot? I dont understand your problem in detail. Do you use another dpi value than 96 for your display?
tog

PostPosted: 03.04.2008, 08:42    Post subject: Re: Vista tip & Mini-Bug Reply with quote

revolver wrote:

rgbigel wrote:

Please can you post a screen shot? I dont understand your problem in detail. Do you use another dpi value than 96 for your display?

I think I have the same "problem" (perhaps its a feature? Mit den Augen rollen ). See the screenshot. (The orange parts come from my windows desktop.)

Apart from the GUI, this is a great program I have long been searching for. After replacing the original IDE-drivers for my JMicron Controler with pciide.sys, it works well on my Vista 64.

One problem remains for me: I often use the sleep-feature of Vista (that new hybrid standby/hibernation thing) -- in fact, I hardly shut it completely down. When I resume from sleep, the drives that I stopped with revoSleep also wake up. However, they are still disabled in the device manager. My solution would be to close revoSleep and start it again right after resuming using the task-planner. The only problem is that there seems to be no proper way of closing revoSleep automatically. Just using taskkill will not call the wake-up routine of revoSleep. Any hints?
revolver
Administrator

PostPosted: 03.04.2008, 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmh maybe a harmful layout ... the screenshot is ok ... thats it should look like. Winken

you can wake up drives manually by "search for new hardware" (control panel -> hardware ... or device manager)

here you can find a solution with a batch file:
http://www.bboard.de/board/ftopic-84104086nx10681-3-30.html

unfortunately it is in german ... so I will try to translate:

write a batch file (*.bat) with following content:

revoSleep.exe
wait 5 (or use: ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5)
devcon.exe disable Device-ID (Device-ID should be the one of the corresponding IDE-Controller.)
taskkill revoSleep.exe /I /M

a second batch for wakeup:
devcon.exe enable Device-ID

maybe u only can use the second one (add taskkill command here) without the first batch file
tog

PostPosted: 03.04.2008, 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

revolver wrote:
mmh maybe a harmful layout ... the screenshot is ok ... thats it should look like. Winken

But then - what's the point of cutting out the lower right corner?

revolver wrote:

here you can find a solution with a batch file:
http://www.bboard.de/board/ftopic-84104086nx10681-3-30.html

Ah yes! Unfortunately Vista does not come with devcon. (XP includes devcon.exe in its installation CD -> \Support\Tools\Support.cab) And the download-version from Microsoft doesn't work for x64 systems. So I had to get me a XP 64 bit installation CD to find a working version of defcon.exe. My batch file looks like this:

devcon.exe enable PCI\VEN_197B*
ping -n 20 127.0.0.1>nul
start revoSleep.exe
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1>nul
taskkill /IM revoSleep.exe
devcon.exe disable PCI\VEN_197B*

Note that PCI\VEN_197B* denotes my (!) PCI controller. There is also no "wait" command in Vista. So I replaced it with that ugly ping-command. I start this batch file with the task planner on the event from "Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter" with ID 1. Works great now. When I wake my machine up, the drives spin up and the task enables the IDE-controller, uses revoSleep to stop the drives and finally disables the IDE-controller again. Sehr glücklich

revolver wrote:

unfortunately it is in german ... so I will try to translate:

Hehe, tatsächlich bin ich selbst deutsch. Nur dachte ich, der Thread wäre eben auf englisch (übrigens lustig, daß im selben Forum deutsch UND englisch üblich sind). Ich denke, die Übersetzung ist für andere trotzdem nützlich. Winken

PostPosted: 16.04.2008, 12:40    Post subject: Re: Vista tip & Mini-Bug Reply with quote

rgbigel wrote:
In Vista, you must run revoSleep as Admin.

OK, you do not like the ConfirmationPrompt when you try to start as admin? Idee Use this:

H:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /noprofile /savecred "C:\Program Files\revoSleep\revoSleep.exe"

You can put this into a Startup Link by changing the properties easily.

I guess you need to enter you Administrator Password at least once and use it from a member of the Administrators group.
--------
Thanks to all prior answers, (revolver, tog). Especially tog's solution regarding wakeup (using devcon and the task planner) looks interesting. It would also be nice if that was included in revosleep itself.

Most of all, I would appreciate if revosleep would handle sleep and wake-up drives not only based on drive letters, but also on physical devices (i.e., Drive 0 etc.) Why? I use IFSmount to access Linux partitions; once mounted; revoSleep can't put them to sleep (driver too stupid), when not mounted, it does not see the drives. (Obviously, one uses Linux drives rather infrequently, so they are a good candidate for sleeping them.)

PostPosted: 02.04.2010, 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have really helped with the drive problem and now I can see my drives. However, I can only see ONE of them! I have 2 drives, C and D and I want to sleep D yet D is not there!!

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    revoSleep - Support Forum Index -> RevoSleep - Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Bluetab template design by FF8Jake of FFD