running revoSleep on startup, spindle is still activated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    revoSleep - Support Forum Index -> RevoSleep - Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vibonacci

PostPosted: 06.06.2020, 12:34    Post subject: running revoSleep on startup, spindle is still activated Reply with quote

So I have a Toshiba X300 8tb SATA drive and it is EXTREMELY LOUD (loader idle noise than CPU and GPU cooler if you can believe it). I use the drive only for backup purposes so I was happy to find this program both to avoid the unnecessary loud noise when drive is not used, as well as saving lifespan of the HDD.

Anyway,

When I run revoSleepon startup by putting a .lnk in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, the spindle is still active while revoSleep does say it is 'offline'. However, activating and deactivating again does proerly disable the spindle.

Does somebody know a solution for this?

My guess is that revoSleep is being run 'too early', so that OS activates it again with some startup process after the deactivate command has already been sent by revoSleep.
vibonacci

PostPosted: 06.06.2020, 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, noticed also random programs seem to spin up the spindle, like MS Word. Blame Microsoft for this of course, The OS should provide more control over your HDDs. For example, when you disable the disk using device manager, the spindle keeps spinning.
Oh well, Microsoft will stay Microsoft..
revo
Administrator

PostPosted: 18.06.2020, 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you have to delay the autostart of revoSleep. Either by using a bat file and make use of wait commands or by using windows task scheduler (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-automated-task-using-task-scheduler-windows-10), where you also can delay the autostart.

Best is to avoid programs spinning drive again. Unfortunately deactivating disk completely (similar to disable disk in device manager) doesn't work in Windows 10 anymore since this causes to also wake up the drive again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    revoSleep - Support Forum Index -> RevoSleep - Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum